Nandini Reddy is back after the successful Ala Modalaindi and does not let down the audience with her latest offering Jabardasth starring Siddharth and Samantha along with Nithya Menen in a special role. The movie is taken from Band Baaja Baaraat but incorporates enough comedy and local flavor to stand on its own.
Now for the story – Siddharth plays a con whose only ambition in life is to make a lot of money and for that he is always on the lookout for business opportunities never mind they always end up as a failure. He chances upon a meeting with Samantha who is also looking to start her own business as a wedding and event planner and together they form a partnership and business that does well as both complement each very well. Samantha ends up falling for Siddharth who does not reciprocate and that leads to a breakup of their business relationship. Both go their separate ways only to experience failure in business and you can only expect how things will end.
- Beautiful Samantha (admittedly the only reason I went to watch the movie).
- Good comedy that will have you in splits (especially Siddharth’s version of English).
- Single track storyline that does not deviate much.
- Music by Thaman (good foot tapping numbers and most of the songs don’t feel out of place).
- Not too many really.
- Additional comedy track that does not integrate fully with the story.
- Introduction of additional characters post-interval.
Performances – Good all round performances by everybody including the lead pair. Samantha is beautiful and does a good job. The surprise package is Siddharth who plays a role that contrary to his image of a romantic lover boy and plays it exceedingly well especially in terms of the comedy. Nithya Menen plays a special role that you need to watch out for… revealing anything else will be a spoiler.
Verdict – Definitely recommended for a good time at the movies.